Tuesday 5 June 2018

Back... and ready to bowl you over!


Recipe of the week...
... The Big Green BOSH! Bowl


Ingredients: 1 x mug brown rice (about 200g), 50g green beans, ½ tin of mixed beans, 1 fresh chilli, 1 lemon, 50g baby leaf spinach, 12 cherry tomatoes, 75g cashew nuts, ½ tub of houmous, handful of fresh coriander leaves, drizzle of hot sauce, 1 garlic clove, 2cm piece fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce

Serves: 2 big bowlfuls

Time taken: Half an hour or so

--

Hi readers,

How are you all today?? On this somewhat cloudy Tuesday afternoon in June, are you well?

I’m excited to write to you today, readers, as it’s been a while since my last post. While my life got in the way, ChefBeHere’s taken a little pause and I’ve missed writing to you all. It hasn’t been a boring break – I’ve had a house move keeping me busy, readers, and a trip to see the beautiful Slovenia.

Lake Bled... amazing!

And I even went on a food writing course at the School of Artisan Food, on the Welbeck Estate, which was a great opportunity! But, things are settling back down now and my fingers are tapping away at the keyboard again. Hopefully, I’ll be writing to you regularly to share recipes and feed your minds once more.

Thanks for your patience, readers! Your reward is this delightful post…

--

- Food for thought -

So, I come bearing sweeties. I’ve got some stuff to recommend! This week, readers, I’ve been…

Listening

If you haven’t already, give this song a go – I think it’s a funky track, upbeat (but not too much), and fun to run to!

Watching

A grisly TV Scandinavian crime drama with a strong female lead. I’m currently re-watching before getting stuck into the new Series 4 – if you can hack subtitles and some butchering of victims, then I do recommend. Totally hooked.

Reading

This is a historic novel by Philippa Gregory, I believe there’s a film adaptation. It’s a thick book with small print, but don’t be deterred. I’m gripped! Who knew Henry slept with Ann’s sister (and had kids with her??) before marrying Ann? And when will Ann lose her head??

Enjoying

Summer running!
I’m about to get my trainers on for a trog around Creswell Crags this evening, and it’s so nice to be able to get out without it being dark/rainy/cold/miserable. I’m finding it easy to get out the door lately for a run and enjoying the weather and the sunny views. Might you?

Wondering

How I ever bothered to make such an effort at uni?
This weekend, readers, I got all dressed up for a birthday party. Read: tan, curls, lashes, heels. I had sparkly nails and perfume sprayed on every scent spot imaginable to man. Looked and feeling great, but my god… it took 3 hours. The relief when I stepped out of my heels and peeled off the lashes at the end of the day was immense. Hats off to you, readers, if you’re still making the effort on a regular basis!

--

- Feeding a friend -

Without further ado, time for the food! My recipe this week, readers, is one from the BOSH! cookbook, which my Vegan Mr bagged at recent book signing with the BOSH! guys in Sheffield. We’ve been having loads of fun at the weekends lately, trying out different recipes from the book and experimenting with vegan dishes we’ve never tried before.

This weekend, in a bid to be good (after booze and a buffet at the party the day before) we decided to make some very healthy-looking Big Green BOSH! Bowls. To set the scene… we cooked on Sunday afternoon, on a warm weekend day, after we got back from a leisurely walk around the preeetty Dam Flask Reservoir in Sheffield. 


It was just me and the Mr in the kitchen this weekend, readers. We cooked with summery pop tunes playing on the radio in the background, dancing about the kitchen (me, at least), and drinking fresh orange juice! Elixir for the hungover soul.

We talked with much excitement about the holiday we’ve booked to Greece in September – fantasising about all the tasty Greek food we’ll eat while we’re away (distant, yet delicious to imagine). And the kitchen smelled of garlic and ginger! Yours could too, readers.

Here’s the recipe in just ten simple steps…

--

- The Big Green BOSH! Bowl -


Ingredients: 1 x mug brown rice (about 200g), 50g green beans, ½ tin of mixed beans, 1 fresh chilli, 1 lemon, 50g baby leaf spinach, 12 cherry tomatoes, 75g cashew nuts, ½ tub of houmous, handful of fresh coriander leaves, drizzle of hot sauce, 1 garlic clove, 2cm piece fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce

  1. Begin by clearing your mind of any chatter, stretching really tall, and gathering together the ingredients you need for this recipe. Pour a cool drink, set some background music playing, and position the recipe where it will be easy to read.

  1. Now you’re ready, fill a mug with brown rice, pour it out into a sieve and rinse with cold water for 30 seconds. Use the same mug to then measure twice as much boiling water into a hot saucepan. Add a pinch of salt to the pan.

  1. When the water is boiling, add the rice, give it a stir, put the lid on the pan, and leave to cook for 20 minutes.

  1. Meanwhile, time to prep your veg! Trim the bottoms from the broccoli, top and tail the green beans, and chop the lemon in half. Deseed and finely chop the chilli, then strain the tin of mixed beans and rinse in a sieve (save half to use another time).

  1. Next, to make the dressing, peel and finely chop the garlic and the ginger. Pop into a mug and pour the olive oil, sesame oil and soy sauce into the mug. Give everything a good stir together.

  1. After 20 minutes, take the lid off the rice and put a colander on top of the pan. Add the green beans and broccoli and pour over half the dressing. Then put a big lid over the colander and leave the veg to steam for 5 minutes.

  1. Once everything is cooked, pop two serving bowls in the microwave to warm for a minute or two. Remove the lid and turn off the heat under the pan. Strain the rice, if necessary, and fluff with a fork to break apart.

  1. To assemble, divide the spinach between the two bowls, followed by the mixed beans, steamed veggies, rice and cherry tomatoes. Pile the cashews on top of the salad and spoon on a large dollop of houmous.

  1. Squeeze over the juice of the lemon, catching any pips in your spare hand. Drizzle the rest of your dressing over the top, and sprinkle with coriander leaves and chilli.

  1. Finish by drizzling everything with a little hot sauce – to give it a kick! Serve up your big green BOSH! bowls. Why not eat out in the sunshine, if you have any?

  
--

- Recipe round up -

I can proudly report that this recipe went very well, readers.

It seems we make a fine team in the kitchen and pulled this recipe together with no mishaps along the way, that I can remember anyway. We ate up the garden, making the most of the balmy weather, and the sun came out halfway through our meal!


Recipe success – we both enjoyed the food. A double thumbs up. I couldn’t handle the heat of the hot sauce, readers, and admittedly cried through my nose, but wouldn’t change it if we were to cook again. No denying, I can’t handle the heat... but it’s the spice and gingery warmth, readers, which bring to life this bowlful of good healthy ingredients.

I’m full of praise, readers. A big green BOSH! bowl is colourful and interesting to look at, it’s got a mix of crunchy and soft textures, and loads of different flavours – it’s worth the heat! Individually, these would just be a load of rabbit foods... very vegan. But carefully prepared and cleverly bowled together, everything combines to pack a punch.

Nothing feels out of place and it’s fun to eat! I would recommend for anyone out there, even the most inflexible carnivore (I speak with my brother in mind, here). Maybe give it a go? I hope you’re eating well this week! Take care of yourselves, wonderful readers.

Drizzle safely,

Hayley


--

- Closing thoughts -

If you’ve been inspired to give this recipe a try, readers, whether I’m speaking to you on the day of this post or you’re reading some far out time in the future... please drop me a line to let me know whether it went okay. I’d love to hear how you got on in the kitchen and your thoughts on this dish. Plus, it’d be fab if you’re able to share any tips you have for success, or your suggestions to improve the recipe? Please send your wisdom my way.

Thank you for reading!





1 comment:

  1. This is not obligatory that you select out high-quality a constrained vicinity like college or college or your location to make bigger your writing artwork. You need to go browsing to spread your competencies to loads of latest parents which can be genuinely in need of such type of potential. My dogs farts stink

    ReplyDelete