Sunday 17 June 2018

Pancake recipe and peaceful vibes

Recipe of the week...
... Japanese cabbage & prawn pancake


Ingredients: 75g plain flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ vegetable stock cube, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 3 eggs, 250g spring cabbage, 150g king prawns, a bunch of spring onions, a splash of cooking oil, a pinch of chilli flakes, brown sauce, mayonnaise, salt and pepper

Dietary req: Pescatarian

Serves: 2

Time taken: Half an hour

--

Hi readers,

Happy Sunday evening to you all and, for any UK dads out there, happy Father’s Day!! Have you been thoroughly spoiled, on your special day? Are there new slippers on your feet and a roast dinner in your tum, perhaps? I hope, any dads reading today, that you’ve had a grand time!

My own dad, defying the roast dinner norm (possibly fearing a clash with his World Cup tv schedule??), opted for a funky breakfast this year instead. We met for a lovely brek in Sheffield earlier, and I cashed in on his big day and enjoyed some mega mushrooms on toast! Very tasty, indeed – thank you, Tamper.


Whether or not it was Father’s Day for you today, readers, wherever you may be and however you may have spent your Sunday… I hope that it’s been peaceful and delicious.

--

- Food for thought -

I can recommend you a few things fo sho. This week, readers, I’ve been…

Listening

The latest for my Book Club, I decided to download this month’s read via audible and listen while driving, to make the most of my commute. In all honesty, I wouldn’t rave about the plot of the book – but it wasn’t bad, readers. I’ve had something to mull over while driving... who is it that kidnapped the baby?? And I’d recommend as a light summer read.

Watching

Can you believe this film is ten years old, readers? And my Vegan Mr had never watched it until today?? If you haven’t seen Horton Hears a Who – I do recommend as a top notch Dr Seuss adaptation, and an all-time favourite film of mine. If you’re looking for a heart-warming and funny Sunday flick, readers, suitable for any and all ages, about an elephant trying to protect a speck on a clover… this is your film.

Reading

And then we were watching Sunday Brunch on telly, this morning, and Jason Mraz was on and he was saying he has a farm and he grows avocados! What are the odds, readers? Is life telling me to start up an avocado farm?? Because I do like avocados, a lot. And seems like they only get more and more hype lately. So… who knows. Watch this space.

Enjoying

Peace and quiet
Do you listen to a CD in the car, readers? And walk with your headphones in? The radio plays in the background at work? And you stick the TV on when you’re home, even if it’s just for a bit of background noise? I do these things and I think a lot of people do, too. So, without you realising, it can go a quite a long time without things ever being truly quiet. But, if you manage to unplug and take some down time without any noise in your ears… isn’t is nice to enjoy the quiet? It’s peaceful, I think.

Wondering

Is there a soul in this world who doesn’t like banana bread?
I used my time wisely while working from home this week and baked both a banana loaf, to give my dad as a Father’s Day gift, and a batch of banana buns to take along to a Do with my Mr’s family. My dad’s long established that he is a lover of a banana loaf, but there we relatives at this Do who strictly said they don’t like bananas or cake, caved and then had a bun, and RAVED about them. Showered my baking with compliments. I swear – it’s a universal food.



--

- Feeding a friend -

My recipe this week, readers, is one I prepared on a weekday evening recently while at home, for myself and my lovely housemate. We’ve made it our aim to eat together in the evening once a week and plan on taking it in turns to do the cooking.

This week was my turn to cook, so I lit a vanilla tealight in the kitchen when we both made it home from work, and we opened lots of windows to get some fresh air in the house. It had turned into a fine summer evening out, and we cracked open a chilled bottle of white, a Georgian wine given to us as a house warming gift when we moved in – thank you, somebody! The fight with the cork was worth it.


As I cooked, we went through some outstanding house paperwork we have to sort (it seems like the move admin never ends), and then launched merrily into boy talk! As we chatted, I was cooking away. This week’s recipe, readers, for a Japanese cabbage & prawn pancake, comes from the May edition of the Co-op’s food magazine, which I picked up recently while doing some food shopping. According to the Co-op: Spring cabbage is at its best right now – here’s a delicious way to use it – ideal for a weekend lunch for friends.


I chose this recipe because it looked great in the magazine picture and sounded so interesting! A cabbage pancake with prawns in it… I mean, what???? When I first suggested this to Harriet, as the recipe for our inaugural house meal together, she was quite rightly unsure about it. Because, in all honesty, it does sound ODD. Right?

But, also very interesting. So, we gave it a go and I’m so glad we did! If you think you might like to try this dish too, readers, then here’s the recipe in just ten simple steps…

--

- Japanese cabbage & prawn pancake -



Ingredients: 75g plain flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ vegetable stock cube, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 3 eggs, 250g spring cabbage, 150g king prawns, a bunch of spring onions, a splash of cooking oil, a pinch of chilli flakes, brown sauce, mayonnaise, salt and pepper

1.     Pour a cool drink and, if it isn’t raining torrentially, then open the windows wide! Put your phone away and get out the right ingredients. Set the kettle boiling.

2.     Begin with some veg prep. Use a sharp knife to finely chop your spring onions and roughly shred the cabbage.

3.     Next, measure the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.

4.     Make up 75ml stock by mixing ¼ stock cube with 75ml boiling water, and slowly pour the stock into the bowl. Mix with a fork until smooth.

5.     Crack your eggs into a mug and beat with a fork. Add the beaten eggs to the mixing bowl along with the soy sauce, mix until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.

6.     Fold through the prawns, chopped spring onions, and shredded cabbage – reserving a small handful of spring onions to use later for the garnish.

7.     Heat a splash of cooking oil in a large frying pan. Pour in the mixture and spread to the edges of the frying pan. Cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the underside is golden.

8.     Place a large plate on top of the pancake, then flip over to turn out. Slide the pancake back into the pan on its reverse side and cook for another 5 minutes.

9.     Once both sides of the pancake are golden brown, remove the frying pan from the heat and switch off. Warm some plates in the microwave and set your table.

10.  Drizzle with pancake with brown sauce and mayonnaise, if you like, and sprinkle with the chilli flakes and the remaining spring onions. Slice in half and serve up!

ChefBeHere Top Tip: I had planned to serve this dish with salad leaves but realised while cooking that the pancake itself is mainly made up of leaves! I panicked at the last minute and improvised a feta and mushroom side dish. If I’d thought in advance, I’d have served this pancake with steamed Asian veg. Perhaps some sugar snap peas, broccoli, baby corn?



--

- Recipe round up -

A surprise success, readers. I’m not even kidding – we both agreed this pancake tasted good. And like nothing else. I realise that in my photos the pancake looks unusual, unappetising, possibly burnt. And it doesn’t much resemble the picture from the magazine or even look much like a pancake. It appears, really, to be a large lump of cabbage on a plate, with the odd prawn sticking out of it, and a not-very-Japanese side to accompany.

You’d be right on all the above, readers. But – also – it tasted really good. Not a lot like cabbage (possibly, as the soy sauce masks the cabbage flavour?), and not like a pancake, but good all the same. I did burn it a bit and even that didn’t spoil the food – ha!

The flavours of this dish, readers, are hard to put into words. I’m struggling. But it tastes I guess, sort of like a prawny, eggy, vegetably stir fry would? And, in a good way! This is a recipe which is simple to prepare, turns out really well, and fills a plate nicely. I’d recommend serving with some steamed Asian veg, perhaps, and keeping the temperature of your pan no higher than a medium heat to avoid any burned bits on your pancake.

Otherwise, I just say go for it! Have a wacky tea, why not? Unless you particularly dislike prawns or cabbage, you’ve no reason not to give this recipe a try. Branch out with the recipes you take on! Expand your culinary horizons! Be brave! Cabbage is a British, seasonal and under-rated vegetable – take a chance on it, readers. I guarantee you, if nothing more, that you’ll have an interesting tea to eat. And you can shock your colleagues in the office with tales of cabbage mixed into a pancake batter. Golly gosh.

One way or another go eat something wild this week, readers, I encourage you to try something new! And feed yourself kindly… you 100% deserve it. Take care and make time for the things that matter. I’m wishing a wonderful week for you. 

Flip safely,

Hayley

--

- Closing thoughts -

If you’ve been inspired to give this recipe a try, readers, whether I’m speaking to you on the day of this post or you’re reading some far out time in the future... please drop me a line to let me know whether it went okay. I’d love to hear how you got on in the kitchen and your thoughts on this dish. Plus, it’d be fab if you’re able to share any tips you have for success, or your suggestions to improve the recipe? Please send your wisdom my way.

Thank you for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment