Sunday 27 January 2019

ANOTHER SYN-FREE BREAKFAST SENSATION

Recipe of the week...
... Overnight Oats


Ingredients: 40g oats, 4 tablespoons low fat natural yoghurt, 1 big handful of fruit, and optional sweet extras can include sweetener, cinnamon, or hot chocolate powder

Serves: 1 decent breakfast

Time taken: 5 mins max

Dietary: Vegetarian (and syn-free on Slimming World!)

--

Hi readers,

How are we all today?

How’s your weekend been? Has it been a good one?

As I write it’s a Sunday evening in January, and the weekend is once again drawing to a close. How is it that they fly by so quickly???

This weekend I’ve… run a parkrun – go me! Such a good way to start the weekend when one can drag oneself out of bed on a Saturday, for a 9am start in the drizzly rain. All worth it for your feeling of achievement at the finish line.

I’ve also… been for a lovely meal out this weekend, at the Venus Restaurant in Dinnington. For any readers local to the Sheffield area, where I live, I would highly recommend. The service is kind of fancy and the prices are a little high, so you’re definitely talking a special occasion sort of restaurant, but if you have one coming up then I say book yourself into the Venus. And try the carrots! They’re not to be missed, I’m telling you.


Also this weekend, readers, I’ve… endured a blowy walk in the country with an unhappy toddler in tow. High winds and chilly temperatures – it would seem – make for a very unhappy one year old. Sobbing, snotting, wailing her little eyes out. Not the best of walks we’ve been on perhaps! But character building, if nothing else. More than a little alarming.

And how about you, readers? What have you got up to over the past couple of days? What’s been the highlight of your weekend, would you say?

--

- Food for thought -

This week, readers, I have the odd bit to recommend for you. I’ve been…

Listening

To first episode of the new series of Love Stories
A fave podcast of mine, by Dolly Alderton, in which she interviews someone new each episode on the greatest loves and passions of their lives. It makes for great listening. Always, she picks someone interesting and well-spoken to talk to, and we get to hear all about the most important parts of their lives past and present. There’s a new season just beginning, and Dolly’s first interview is with the actor, Stanley Tucci. Well worth a listen… here.



Watching

Beautiful Boy
There are so many great films out at the cinema right now, with awards season upon us, that it’s hard to know what to go see. I’ve recently been to watch The Favourite, Colette, Stan & Ollie, Green Book, and Mary, Queen of Scots. All good films! The Favourite was a bit batty perhaps, with more rabbits than I’d imagined, but all excellent films which I would recommend. If you’re going to see one though – Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet’s father-and-son tale of the hurt that meth addiction can cause, in Beautiful Boy, is the film I would recommend most. It’s intense and upsetting, but good. Watch the trailer… here.


Reading

Becoming by Michelle Obama
A Christmas gift from my dad… who knows me well. I love Michelle Obama and am loving reading about her life. Just – what a woman. I’m not done with the book yet but can’t imagine it will give me any reason not to recommend to everyone I know. If reading about Michelle Obama helps in any way to make me more like Michelle Obama, then I think we should all be reading it. We should all be more like Michelle.



Enjoying

Pink skies
Did anyone else catch one this week, at sunrise or sunset? Maybe it’s just Sheffield, maybe it’s everywhere, but there seems to have been great skies around this week. Peach and pick and purple. It’s nice to take a moment to look up. And imagine being warm and soaking up the summer sun… we’ve only a few months to go. Until then, I hope there are more colourful winter skies to keep us all going, and dreaming of summer.


Wondering

About the miracle of life
My friend has just given birth to a six-pound-something little baby girl. Who is just nine days old, and is probably asleep right now. With tiny fingers and toes. And another friend of mine is pregnant with twins… growing two babies inside of her right this very minute. And I do not want a baby right now – as was confirmed on a long walk with a screaming toddler earlier today – but I am blown away by the miracle of pregnancy. And then new parents raising their children to become people, who will one day raise their own children. This is nothing remarkable, in theory, but when you see it happen in real life, I find it mind blowing.

@yogakiss

--

- Feeding a friend -

My recipe this week, readers, is one I prepared for myself for the first time the other day. And then enjoyed it so much I made it again. And then this morning I even made this for breakfast for myself and the Mr. And he tried it and liked it – which, coming from the boy who thinks muesli or granola are a sad breakfast (rather than, in my opinion, an amazing way to start the day), has been ground breaking.

My recipe for you this week, readers, is for Overnight Oats. Have you tried making them before? I’ve heard of Overnight Oats before, certainly, but it’s just not something I’ve had a go at before now. I like oats, I love oaty breakfast cereals, so why I’ve never tried this recipe is a mystery.

Newsflash: I’m a major fan now of overnight oats.

They’re so simple to prepare, they taste great, they’re filling, they’re syn-free on Slimming World, and there are loads of variations you can try to vary up your Overnight Oats, so you’re always enjoying them and never bored. Why not give it a try??

If you might like to try Overnight Oats for yourself, here’s the recipe in just five simple steps…

--

- Overnight Oats -


Ingredients: 40g oats, 4 tablespoons low fat natural yoghurt, 1 big handful of fruit, and optional sweet extras can include sweetener, cinnamon, or hot chocolate powder

1.     Stretch really tall and take a big, deep breath. Gather your ingredients together and find an exciting glass or jar or Tupperware to prepare your Overnight Oats in.

2.     Measure 40g oats into your glass/jar/Tupperware.

3.     Add 4 tablespoons of low-fat natural yoghurt.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: If you fear yoghurt alone might be a bit plain for you, you could also add a shake of sweetener, cinnamon, or hot chocolate powder, for some added sweet flavour. (If on Slimming World, remember to check the syn-values for any optional extras)

4.     Add a big handful of fruit.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: Perhaps apple and pear? Or strawberry and banana? Or I’m quite enjoying mixed berries at the moment, which I tip in from a big 1kg bag of frozen ‘Wonky Berries’ that I bought from Morrisons. You’re fine to add your fruit while it’s frozen, and it will thaw in the fridge overnight.

5.     Give everything a big stir together and then chill in the fridge overnight. Tuck in!


--

- Recipe round up -

And that’s literally all there is to it.

What do you think? Would you be tempted to give this a try, readers?

Only 5 minutes prep the night before and then you can enjoy your tasty Tupperware of oats in bed while catching up on the news perhaps… savouring a last few glorious minutes warm under the covers, before you begin your day. That’s how I do it. Or – enjoy your oats any way you like! While sat out in your garden, or commuting on the train, while at your desk checking email, or pausing for a moment on a park bench… so long as you enjoy your oats.

If you’re looking for a healthy way to begin the day, readers, with a full stomach and lots of energy, at little cost to yourself in time or money, then I do recommend you give Overnight Oats a go. You never know, maybe the new favourite breakfast that you never ever before though to try?

Everyone – I’m wishing you all a fabulous week ahead. Go live it to the full and I dare you all to give someone a MASSIVE big hug. Make their day.

And breakfast safely,

Hayley

--

- Closing thoughts -

If you’ve been inspired to give this recipe a try, readers, whether I’m speaking to you on the day of this post or you’re reading some far out time in the future... please drop me a line to let me know whether it went okay. I’d love to hear how you got on in the kitchen and your thoughts on this dish. Plus, it’d be fab if you’re able to share any tips you have for success, or your suggestions to improve the recipe? Please send your wisdom my way.

Thank you for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment