Thursday 27 November 2014

PLUMS... ON PORRIDGE?



Recipe: Winter Plum Porridge
Time Taken: Half an hour
Ingredients: Porridge oats, milk, honey, cinnamon, 3 plums, a smidge of butter
 
Good evening readers,
It’s Thursdayyyyyyyy. Literally, I’m losing enthusiasm for this week altogether. I hope today, on this Thursday, you’re significantly more cheer-filled than me! That you’re hogging all the cheer and this is the cause of my gloom. Someone deserves a cheerful Thursday.
I hope you're feeling like this little hero
 
I’m writing from Newcastle University’s Robinson Library and no one here seems to be having a cheerful evening. No one. ‘Cheer’ isn’t the word to describe the atmosphere here. General mood = tired, fed up, depressive, bleak. Cheerless, some might say.
It’s like the setting for a terrible event after which people look back and say “Oh, don’t you wish they’d all been living for the day and they were off somewhere spending their last moments being free and just running and living life to the full”. I sincerely hope to be out of this library, alive and well, sometime soon. And everyone else stuck here, too. There is (fingers-crossed) life post-library.
But meanwhile, I’m taking a study break to share with you the breakthrough I had earlier! It has been, by far, the best part of my day. I’d transcribed an interview by about noon (yay!) and needed food. I wanted plums again, but also I fancied porridge. A dilemma. UNTIL I thought…. Can you put plums on your porridge?
Answer? Hell yes.

Here’s the recipeeeeeeeeeee…

1. Heat your oven to 200˚C.
2. Take three plums, slice them in half, remove the stones and throw those away.
 
3. Grease a little ovenproof dish you arrange your plums inside.
 
4. Sprinkle them with cinnamon and drizzle with a teaspoon of honey.
 
5. Pop the dish into the oven and take a ten minute breather.
 
6. Measure half a cup (I use a McDonald’s LEGO cup) of porridge oats.
 
7. Tip them into a bowl and pour milk over the oats until they’re swimming and the bowl is about full to about the level of porridge you can imagine yourself being able to eat. Stir this up.
 
8. Microwave on full power for two minutes, then take your bowl out and stir before popping it back in the microwave to heat for abooooout just shy of a minute more.
ChefBeHere Top Tip: Keep an eye on the bowl through the microwave door. Your porridge will expand, but you don’t want it to spill over the edges of the bowl. Stop it if it looks like this is about to happen. Your porridge is ready early.
 
9. Safely remove your dish from the oven and cut each plum-half into quarters.
 
10. Sprinkle some cinnamon and drizzle a teaspoon of honey over your porridge. Use a spoon to mix these in, before tipping your plums over the top of your porridge. Tuck in!
 
 
Here’s my gorgeous lunch (I miss it loads!)
 
I LOVE THIS COMBINATION. Literally, it’s so, so rich and indulgent. This is the recipe for someone looking for a big treat. Is this you? Get on it!!
How do people feel about putting plums on porridge? Yay or nay? This recipe gets my yes vote any day, every day, in a heartbeat, without a doubt, to infinity and beyond. Does it get yours?

Spoil yourself safely,
Hayley


 

No comments:

Post a Comment