Wednesday 14 January 2015

PEPPERONI-PAPRIKA POWER

 
Pepperoni-Paprika Couscous

 
Time taken: 20 mins
Ingredients: Half a pack of Quorn pepperoni slices, half a mug of couscous, a vegetable stock cube, 2 cloves of garlic, half a tin of chickpeas, a dozen black olives & a few sundried tomatoes (both from jars), oil, a big dash of paprika, & salt & pepper.

Hi readers,
Good day to you all! How’s the day looking?? How’s your outlook? What’s the prognosis? Here, today’s not looking bad. I’m sad that we haven’t had any snow yet like lots of you have. C’mon snow! But the sun’s out in Newcastle and I’m taking a lazy morning around the house. Admiring the sun out of the window, while I stay warm inside. This is my masterplan.
 
And today’s it’s Woody’s birthday!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WOODY!
 
That’s right readers, the old boy has turned 22! I can’t believe it. The photo above is from 2 years ago and Woody looks a lot like a Baby Woody here. Like, I’m just about 20 ½ and he’s 22 already. That's sooo old. Aged. Wizened. Crumbling. Facing the grave.
 
SLASH, you know… Ripe. Mature. Seasoned. Wise. Sage. Oaky. Refined. Yeahhh, so I googled wine and cheese descriptors there.
 
He’s SO OLD. But Woody’s birthday is the perfect excuse for a knees up! And I’m baking birthday cake! So, look out, I’ll keep you posted on how this goes. Hopefully, he’s going to have a great day.
 
YESTERDAY… was not so great. Literally, did anyone have a good day yesterday?? I don’t think so! Headaches. Bad exams. No progress on essays. Why did we get out of bed??
 
The best parts of my day were:
1) At the start… The morning sun. It was SO dazzling. Like, blinding.
I got this photo...
 
2) In the middle… The food. Recipe to follow.
 
3) And at the end… a bath!!!

In a feat of miracles, I managed to pour a real, warm bubble bath in our student house. I can’t explain how improbable it is that I managed this. I had to clean the tub. I had to have the immersion thing heating for aaaaages. And I had to keep filling the kettle up and chucking boiling water in for added warmth. But it was so worth it.
My gorgeous, healing bubble bath
 
Readers, I lit candles. Turned off the lights. I played some Paolo Nutini. I poured some squash in a wine glass. I used an ENTIRE bottle of bubble bath. And I had a good soak. Words can’t describe.

 
After getting back from the library feeling so unwell, a good plate of food and then my bath definitely fixed me up. I prescribe this for everyone. ALL OF YOU. Now about that plate of food…

 
In ten easy steps, here’s how to throw together super quick Pepperoni-Paprika Couscous:

1. Using a sharp knife, chop up your garlic (into tiny bits), your olives (into halves), your tomatoes (into bite-sized amounts) and your Quorn pepperoni (into halves).

2. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan.

3. Add your garlic and pepperoni and fry for 5 minutes.

4. Then, add your chickpeas, olives and tomato.

5. While they warm, tip your couscous into a mug and add your stock cube to the mug.

6. Boil the kettle and pour boiling water into your mug, until it’s ¾ full. Stir it up!

7. Then, cover the mug and leave your couscous for a few minutes to absorb all of the hot water.

8. When it’s fully formed, tip your couscous into the frying pan.

9. Sprinkle a good amount of paprika over everything, along with a pinch of pepper and a dash of salt.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: The paprika gives this dish its funky colour, so watch your grub transform now in the pan!

10. Give everything a big stir while you warm a plate in the microwave. Serve half of the pan up for your tea, and save the other half in the fridge for tea tomorrow!

And… voila! Here you have your fabulous plate of food :)
 
Wasn’t that easy? This is such a simple tea. Literally, this takes just one pan and there are no fresh veg ingredients involved. At all. It’s easy peasy! It’s possibly one of the quickest, most faff-free teas you can claw together, without making something really boring like a jacket potato. Or sticking a pizza in. Or piercing holes in the film on a ready meal. Can you think of anything proper to make, that’s much simpler than this??
 
Also, what do you think of this? Do you like it? I think that this dish is colourful and flavoursome, and warm and filling. And something different for a change! How about you? Lemme know!
 
And, once again... HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOODY!!!

Season safely everyone,
Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment